Lambda Chi Alpha and the One Love Foundation have formed a partnership dedicated to creating educational curriculum that supports the creation of healthy relationships amongst its members and their peers, develops recognition of behaviors that lead to relationship abuse, fosters bystander intervention skills, and allows members to understand and adhere to policies regarding consent put in place by institutions across North America.
The One Love Foundation is a not-for-profit public charity that educates young people about healthy and unhealthy relationships, empowering them to identify and avoid abuse and learn to love better, and as a result, build healthier relationships.
The work output resulting from the partnership is a comprehensive set of recommendations (“Model”) that guides Lambda Chi Alpha as it develops, implements, and refines approaches and programs that support the creation of healthy relationships amongst its members and their circles of influence. The Model will provide practical, tactical, and actionable recommendations based on the best available evidence, literature and expert input. The critical path of deliverables includes:
- Lambda Chi Alpha will have immediate access to the existing One Love curricula, tools and resources about healthy relationships so it can create program tracts for both active and alumni members of the fraternity. The goal is to reach 1,000 undergraduate members in the 2020–21 school year and to grow reach to the entire undergraduate population by the 2023–24 school year.
- One Love will promote and recruit for Lambda Chi Alpha tailored virtual facilitator trainings to empower members, both collegiate and alumni, to use existing resources on their campuses and in their communities. Existing workshops include 10 Signs of a Health and Unhealthy Relationships, Behind the Post, and Escalation. Facilitator training will be open to all active and alumni members on a semesterly basis. One Love will also assist Lambda Chi Alpha to create joint workshops with a sorority as opportunities present on relevant campuses.
- One Love will evaluate the effectiveness of its relationship health education programming through One Love’s post-workshop survey.
- One Love will co-brand and co-create curriculum specifically for Lambda Chi Alpha designed to help members build the foundation for healthy and authentic male relationships (“Brotherhood”). Tools could include customized video production, workshops, and related collateral.
- The relationship will not be limited by the scope of the initial MOU if new ideas or opportunities present themselves, such as undergraduate members being trained to present and facilitate One Love curriculum to high school students.
- Once developed, if agreed to by both parties, the Lambda Chi “Brotherhood” model will be promoted to colleges and universities for adoption system wide.
About One Love
One Love was founded in honor of Yeardley Love, a 22-year-old college student who was killed by her ex-boyfriend. After her death, the family started the One Love Foundation to educate young people about the difference between healthy and unhealthy relationships. To date, the organization has educated more than million young people. For more information and to learn how to #lovebetter, visit joinonelove.org.