On July 27, 2013, Lambda Chi Alpha announced a national partnership with Feeding America. This partnership is an opportunity to significantly increase the amount of food and funds collected at nearly 200 chapters across North America.
Feeding America is a nationwide network of 200 food banks and 60,000 food pantries and meal programs that provides food and services to more than 46 million people each year. Feeding America also supports programs to secure and provide food for families in need; operates programs that promote self-sufficiency; educates the public about hunger; and advocates for legislation that protects people from going hungry.
This Year’s Challenge…
Since 1993 our chapters and colonies have taken an active role in donating non-perishable food and have raised more than 45 million pounds of food for the needy. In the 2014-2015 academic year, Lambda Chi Alpha chapters and colonies collected over 3.6 million pounds of food (equivalent to over 3,000,000 meals).
We challenge each chapter and colony to help us reach our goal as an international organization of FOUR (4) MILLION POUNDS OF FOOD for the 2015-2016 academic year. Below are the ways to get involved with a Feeding America food bank:
- Contact the local Feeding America food bank that is located in your area. Click here for a listing of food banks
- Host a philanthropic event (i.e. Watermelon Bust, Teeter-totter thon, canned food drive, etc.).
- Fill out the Food Totals report on Officer Portal and submit your total poundage and be entered to win an award for your philanthropic efforts.
- Have fun and enjoy our value of Service and Stewardship.
Domestic Hunger Statistics
(provided by Feeding America)
- 1 in 6 Americans face hunger
- 17 million children in the U.S. struggle with hunger.
- According to the USDA, more than 17 million children are living in food-insecure households
- 36 percent of households served by Feeding America network include at least one adult who works.
- 17 percent of the adults interviewed during the Hunger Study have attended college or a technical school.
- More than 2 million rural households experience food insecurity
- According to the USDA, limited resources prevent over 50 million Americans from getting enough food.
How to Report Food Collection Totals
Going forward Lambda Chi Alpha plans to strengthen its data collection methods. The philanthropy chair for each chapter or colony is encouraged to report their chapter’s totals after their philanthropy which raises non-perishable goods or funds for a local food bank. Lambda Chi Alpha Professional Staff will collect data totals at the end of the fall term (December) and the spring term (May).
To report collection totals visit op.lambdachi.org and fill out the Food Totals form under the Forms section. For each report, chapters are encouraged to include documents of validation from their local food bank along with pictures of events that chapters created for their philanthropies. Additionally, if your chapter or colony has a good relationship with a local food bank that is not a Feeding America food bank we encourage you to maintain that relationship.
If you have any questions about this new partnership, please contact email@example.com.
Together, we can do our part to help in the fight to end hunger.
© 2017 LAMBDA CHI ALPHA FRATERNITY, INC. | 11711 N. PENNSYLVANIA ST. STE 250, CARMEL, IN 46032